Message Boards Message Boards

Back

SCORM in mulitple languages?

SCORM in mulitple languages?
Answer
7/1/19 8:16 AM
Hello,

We have a course environment where we have students that speak either Dutch, English, German or French. I notice it is possible to set a langauge for a lesson in the Lesson preferences but is there a way to make a lesson include these different languages (all in one SCORM) and have the preferred language of the student appear upon loading the lesson?
Would be a great help if this were possible.
0 (0 Votes)

RE: SCORM in mulitple languages?
Answer
7/1/19 8:53 AM as a reply to Bianca Grin.
I have found the following page about translating the lesson but not about putting these translations in one lesson:

http://doc.smartbuilder.com/sb4/app/latest/index.jsp?nav=%2F0
0 (0 Votes)

translation
Answer
7/1/19 9:20 AM as a reply to Bianca Grin.
Hi Bianca,

SmartBuilder doesn't currently have a way to combine multiple language versions of a lesson into a single SCORM package. However, I have logged this enhancement request with our development team and we will get back to you soon about this. 
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
7/1/19 9:40 AM as a reply to Rob Penn.
Hi Rob,

That would be great, thanks. I was thinking GUI-wise it could be a dropdown item next to the screen size menu.
That way you can quickly switch between versions (after uploading the translation) to see if everything still fits on the pages OK.

Language UI

Looking forward to the update emoticon
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
7/1/19 11:40 AM as a reply to Bianca Grin.
Thanks for your thoughts and mock up. We used a similar approach with the previous version of SmartBuilder where we had a  single lesson that swapped out text at run-time. However, we took a different approach in version 4 for a few reasons. 

Most importantly, as you noted, languages have different sizes, which require the author to make position and size adjustments after importing translated text. We think it's easier for authors to do this via seperate lessons so that layout changes in one language don't affect the layouts of other languages. 

The bottom line is, you will continue to create separate lessons for each language (each with their own source sb4) as you do now, but we are looking into provdining a post-publish wrapper that will allow you to assemble the published lessons into a single SCORM package with a language selection page at the beginning.

Then, in the future, we may make another enhancement to simplify this so that the wrapper can be generated without having to do a manual post-publish step. I hope that makes sense.
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
7/1/19 12:47 PM as a reply to Rob Penn.
Hello Rob,

Sounds good. I was hoping there was a quick fix to avoid clutter on my LMS lesson page. I've found a workaround; using HTML to detect language used and then show the link to the SCORM that I made in that language. So I'm not urgently awaiting the new feature. I wouldn't want my students to have to choose a language at the start of the SCORM as they'll have a lot of different SCORM packages to view during their course. Due to the nature of the course it's not a good idea to put everything in one big SCORM package 

and having to choose your language each time can get a little annoying.

0 (0 Votes)

Answer
7/1/19 1:32 PM as a reply to Bianca Grin.
Thanks for the feedback. Your workaround is creative, but I'm a bit confused about how it works. It shounds like you've created a custom HTML page with some JavaScript that detect's the learner's browser langage and then shows the link to the corresponding lesson. Is that correct?

But, what are you importing into and launching from your LMS? Is it the custom HTML page with the detection? If so, how do you make it SCORM compliant? Also, where are the SmartBuilder lessons hosted? Lastly, does your solution allow SCORM tacking (e.g. completion, score, etc.)?
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
8/14/23 4:23 PM as a reply to Rob Penn.
Here's a way to combine multiple SCORM lessons into a single package.  It uses the browser language setting to determine which folder to load.  If one of the supported languages is not the browser language, it will use the folder named "default".

Video - https://share.smartbuilder.com/public/support/multilanguage-scorm-package/multilanguage-scorm-package.mp4

And here are the wrappers for SCORM 2004 - http://share.smartbuilder.com/public/support/lesson-wrapper-lang-scorm2004.zip
and SCORM 1.2 - http://share.smartbuilder.com/public/support/lesson-wrapper-lang-scorm12.zip

Let us know if you have any questions!
0 (0 Votes)