Message Boards Message Boards

Back

button down duration

Toggle
button down duration
Answer
9/24/22 6:29 PM
Hi smartbuilder guys,

I'm building an course for the usage of a physical products. This product has a few buttons, and their functions are different depending on how long you keep this physical button pressed. I'm now trying to mimic this, but I can't find a way to get the 'down' time of a button.

What I want in smartbuilder is a button, and as soon as you press it, a timer starts (propably gonna be a percent gauge or in text). You have to keep the button pressed/down for 4 seconds so in 4 seconds the percent gauge should be on 100% or text on 4.00, and then the action should take place.

I've also tried something with a invisible drag-n-drop but it became messy and I really didn't like how it worked. So is there a simple way to time the duration of a button/mouse press and act on that?

Thanks in advance
0 (0 Votes)

RE: button down duration
Answer
9/26/22 7:53 PM as a reply to Marcel Ooms.
Hi Marcel,
Currently this is not possible. We don't have an onPress or an onRelease trigger in SmartBuilder. We could add that functionality, but would probably only add it to Hotspots (not Buttons). It should be possible to create the interaction you want with Hotspots (onPress - start Timer ; onRelease - stop Timer, if time = 4, do something). Would that work for you?

- Nav
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
9/26/22 8:06 PM as a reply to Navdeep Dhillon.
Yes that would definitely be good enough to fake button press. 
I am still playing around with a drag thing as it has 'drag_over" functionality, but your options sounds way more solid
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
9/27/22 3:28 PM as a reply to Marcel Ooms.
Sounds good. We'll try to implement this in our next release (timing TBD). Unfortunately we don't have a good workaround at the moment... I suppose you could build something in native HTML and have it in a Web Object, but that seems like a lot of work to throw away. Do you have a timeline for when you need this functionality?

- Nav
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
9/28/22 6:47 PM as a reply to Navdeep Dhillon.
The first round of this elearning needs to be finished at the end of the week, and the week after that the final version. I guess that's too soon to build a new function in SB so I will try to find an alternative way. But it would be a nice function to build in SM for the future.
Keep me posted if you have any ideas or updates to do this emoticon

Thanks
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
9/29/22 5:12 PM as a reply to Marcel Ooms.
Marcel,
The stars have aligned! We had to make a special build for another client and this was easy to implement, so we actually have a special SB build you can download to get this functionality now. I will email you the link, though it might get flagged as spam (email filters don't like a direct link to an exe). If you don't get an email in the next 10 minutes, or if you need the Mac installation file, please reach out via support chat and we can give you the link that way.

For everyone else, contact us if you need this now, or it will be in our next update.

- Nav
0 (0 Votes)