Message Boards Message Boards

Back

vimeo in youtube object

Toggle
vimeo in youtube object
Answer
9/13/23 3:18 PM
Hi,

I really like the improvements to the new youtube object. The only problem is that youtube put's all kind of stuff over it (share button, title, yt logo) when you hover over the video, even when you turned everything off in the control settings. In vimeo, you can turn this all off on the vimeo side. And I do want to keep the streamable functionality, so not just embed the mp4 or link to the mp4 on vimeo.

So my question is, is there a way or get vimeo in the youtube object. Or is there a way to get rid of all the extra's youtube puts on top of the video so it is only the video.

A small hack might be to put a layer with 1 percent transparancy on top of it, so it will not recognize hovers anymore. But the first few seconds we will still see all the youtube stuff so it is not perfect.

Thanks in advance
0 (0 Votes)

RE: vimeo in youtube object
video youtube
Answer
9/14/23 9:57 AM as a reply to Marcel Ooms.
Hi Marcel,

You cannot load videos hosted on Vimeo into the YouTube object. 

However, Vimeo used to have a feature that exposes the actual MP4 of the videos you host there. I believe the feature requires a Vimeo Pro account, and I don't know if the feature still exists. We've used this in many projects to host videos on Vimeo and load them into lessons using SmartBuilder's regular video object. Here's a tutorial on how to do it: 
https://www.screencast.com/t/QLjO4NA3S

Does this address your needs?

Rob
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
9/14/23 11:26 AM as a reply to Rob Penn.
Hi Rob,

Thanks you for your answer. 

I do already use the vimeo plus mp4 thing a lot, but only for very small video's. But like I said in my question this is not the way to go here. The big downside of this is that there is no up/down sampling for viewers based on their bandwidth. This means that I have to put really low video quality video in there to make sure the people with a slower internet connection can also see it, or when I use higher resolution video, the people have to wait a long time and can not really smoothly see the video.

The youtube object does keep this up/down sampling based on bandwidth, but just throws extra things on top of it which I want to get rid of. 

In my vimeo pro account I can however use the normal link with up/down sampling AND turn off all the other stuff (name, title, channel, logo, etc). That was why I was hoping there would be a way to use the youtube object but for vimeo video's.

If you have any other idea's, keep em coming emoticon
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
11/13/23 3:27 PM as a reply to Rob Penn.
Hi,
Do you think this will ever be developed, or is this not possible for Vimeo? As I can really use this for an upcoming project. Youtube keeps adding stuff on their video's (logo's, links, branding etc) which I don't want and the vimeo direct link embed is not using the up/down scaling based on bandwidth from the player.
0 (0 Votes)

video vimeo web object
Answer
11/15/23 10:06 AM as a reply to Marcel Ooms.
Hi Marcel,

A Vimeo object seems like it would be a useful enhancement for the reasons you mentioned, and it could be added. However, probably not in time for your upcoming project.

If you're just using the Vimeo videos to show videos but not using the onEnd trigger or other functionality, you might be able to get away with bringing the Vimeo object in using a Web Object.
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
11/15/23 10:21 AM as a reply to Rob Penn.
Hi Rob,

It would be great if you could put a vimeo object on the 'requested feature list' emoticon.

Yes I'm indeed now weighing the pros and cons of vimeo direct links vs webobject, thanks for the tip
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
11/15/23 10:45 AM as a reply to Marcel Ooms.
I've added this to our feature request list. emoticon 
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
11/22/23 2:57 PM as a reply to Rob Penn.
Thanks

I've decided to got with the video direct link from vimeo and got a lower resolution

And if you guys are diving into video in smartbuilder anyway..... emoticon
- whatever you put on top of a video, the edges always get a stroke around it. Even simple shapes on top of video get a stroke. Or when you have a video which is half the size of you frame, the video gets a stroke
- possibilty to adjust the way the caption look, like (half transparant) black backdrop or the height. I know a few are possible to put in the VTT file, but I couldn't find them all.
- show a thumbnail while loading (first 2 seconds), or have a command which says: "if video = loaded --> show video". As the connecting of video actually works pretty good, it just too bad that there are small seconds of black loading screen inbetween.

Ofcourse these are just suggestions. I understand there might be stuff with higher priorities.
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
11/22/23 9:27 PM as a reply to Marcel Ooms.
Hi Marcel,
These are interesting requests, and we'll add them to our enhancement list!

We have not seen the first issue you're describing, though, even when we try it ourselves. Would you be able to send us your source file and a screenshot of what you're seeing? It might also be browser / OS dependent, so please let us know what browser and OS you're using to test this.

You can email us directly - support at smartbuilder com, and we can dig into that one!

Thanks!
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
4/5/24 7:06 PM as a reply to Marcel Ooms.
Hi Marcel,
We just wanted to inform you that the new Vimeo object is included in our most recent update! Please update your SmartBuilder application and try it out!
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
4/8/24 7:39 AM as a reply to Navdeep Dhillon.
Hi,
That's amazing. Thank you so much and perfect timing for a new project emoticon
0 (0 Votes)