Message Boards Message Boards

Back

Vimeo not working on iPhone

Toggle
Vimeo not working on iPhone
Answer
8/16/24 3:02 PM
Hi,

We are working a lot with video in our lessons, most of which are not in an LMS but just on a website. The vimeo tool works perfect on pc, laptop and android, but this week we learned it doesn't work on iphone (I tested with safari). I read somewhere online that IOS doesn't allow <autoplay> so I tried to force play after a second. But saw that the play and pause action blocks for the vimeo tool don't work (again, on iPhone IOS, they work perfect on everything else). Do you think you can take a look at this for a fix, or is this something that has to do with IOS and you can't change anything about it?

I also tested it with the youtube object, and those play/pause blocks also don't work on iphone. The normal player does work, even with vimeo direct video links, but then we miss the nice features of vimeo like bandwith resolution upscaling, subtitles etc. We will try to use this as a temporarily solution, but is it possible to add more than 1 subtitle (so multiple languages) to a video?

Thanks in advance
0 (0 Votes)

RE: Vimeo not working on iPhone
Answer
8/19/24 8:48 PM as a reply to Marcel Ooms.
Hi Marcel,
This is not something that we can control. It is between the browser and the Vimeo site. And, as you mentioned, autoplay is very restrictive on iOS:
Autoplay and loop embedded videos – Vimeo Help Center

Actions attempting to get the video to play are treated the same as autoplay, the user must actually click directly on the video player for it to be considered non-autoplay. You can try muting the video (setting the volume to 0), but even that might not always work.

As for your other question, can you include multiple audio tracks in the regular video object? Yes! Here's how to include multiple captions: https://share.smartbuilder.com/public/support/multilanguage-vtt-multiple-closed-caption-tracks.mp4

Here's the sample you can test with, and steal the sb4config folder from:
https://share.smartbuilder.com/public/support/multilanguage-vtt-multiple-closed-caption-tracks.zip

Hope that helps!
0 (0 Votes)

RE: Vimeo not working on iPhone
Answer
8/23/24 12:21 PM as a reply to Navdeep Dhillon.
Hi,

That's what I thought. I've also seen some other function like 'lesson volume' not working on iPhone. IOS just think differently from all other OS emoticon
Thanks for the example of the multiple captions, very helpfull!
0 (0 Votes)