Message Boards Message Boards

Back

Setting a new default layout?

Toggle
Setting a new default layout?
Answer
5/19/21 5:45 PM
Hello Smartbuilder team!  
We use a larger layout for our courses to ensure we are using up as much real estate as we can in our LMS.  I see how you can set a new layout and save it, but is there any way to set that custom layout as a default? 
Thanks! 
Scott
0 (0 Votes)

RE: Setting a new default layout?
Answer
5/19/21 6:32 PM as a reply to Scott Sheridan.
Hi Scott,
Are you asking:
1. How do I make the lesson use my custom layout when it loads? Or,
2. How do I default new lessons to use the dimensions I want?

So, a brand new lesson, when it is created, is 1000x563. I don't think you can change that behavior for newly created lessons*. However, you can alter the dimensions of the "Default" Layout immediately after creating the lesson, without having to create a new Layout.

Most people don't start with a "new" lesson, they often create from an existing lesson. So if they're starting a new lesson called "LessonOnCats", they usually have a pre-existing "LessonOnDogs" that has the correct dimensions and a Master or other resources that they want to reuse.

Also, with the new scaling options, exact lesson size tends to be less of a concern for most people.

Here's a video showing the above, let us know if that doesn't clear things up - https://share.smartbuilder.com/public/support/lesson-size-and-scaling.mp4

* There may be some setting in the installation files to change this, but I'll have to get back to you. Or we may add this to our enhancement list.

- Nav
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
5/20/21 5:37 PM as a reply to Navdeep Dhillon.
Hi Nav, 
More of option 2.  I'm looking for my new lessons to default to my custom dimensions when I start.  Our materials aren't consumed on mobile devices (yet) so that's not really an issue for us.  It's really not that big of a deal, Just thought it would one less thing to have to think about when we start a new lesson. 
Thanks! 
Scott
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
5/21/21 5:15 PM as a reply to Scott Sheridan.
Hi Scott,
Here's how you can create your own Starter Lesson with the lesson dimensions that you want (and you can also include other helpful things like Styles and Masters, if you want):
https://share.smartbuilder.com/public/support/create-your-own-starter-lessons.mp4

Let us know if you have any questions!

- Nav
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
5/24/21 1:36 PM as a reply to Navdeep Dhillon.
Thanks, Nav! 
This is exactly what I was looking for. Adding masters and other elements are an added plus!  
Scott
0 (0 Votes)