Message Boards Message Boards

Back

Actions: Enhancement Request - Use HTML Color code in Set Color actions

Toggle
Category: Actions

Enhancement Request:
It would be helpful if there were a field that would allow an author to input the hex code for colors in addition to the color selection widget. This would allow the author to better match colors from the various color selection wizards used by different objects throughout SB4. Since many of the color selection options allow for custom colors, the predefined colors of the set fill color action make it impossible to remain conistent.

Use Case:
An author sets the initial fill color of a shape to #DCC1E8 using the Fill Properties color selection widget. The fill property widget allows authors the ability to set custom colors and is not limited to predefined color selections. The author then decides that the shape color should change when the learner clicks a button and uses the Set Fill Color action type to select from the predefined colors. The author also decides that if the learner takes another action, then the shape color should be set back to it's original color (#DCC1E8 for example); however, since the original color was set with a custom color and the set fill color widget only allows predefined colors, the author cannot set it back to the original and may only be able to get a similar color instead.
0 (0 Votes)

RE: Actions: Enhancement Request - Use HTML Color code in Set Color actions
Answer
1/13/17 5:44 PM as a reply to Steve Shipe.
Hi Steve,

This is already possible is SmartBuilder v4. The block for setting the fill color defaults to a color block, but you can switch it to a text block and use that to set hex colors programatically.

See this short video explaining the process. https://www.screencast.com/t/RYc9f4nxEK7L

Thanks,
John Malatino
0 (0 Votes)

RE: Actions: Enhancement Request - Use HTML Color code in Set Color actions
Answer
1/13/17 7:46 PM as a reply to John Malatino.
John,

That is exactly the functionality I was looking for.

My only concern with that approach is that it seems somewhat counter intuitive since the "set {ObjectName} color to" is so visible and there is nothing to indicate that there is any other way to set a color. I have little doubt that this will be covered in the help and various training that you folks will provide; but, I wish that there was a way to make this more obvious. 
0 (0 Votes)